It's been almost two months since I quit my job to study web design. I'm writing this post because, I thought I would be close to launching a portfolio website and beginning to score freelance jobs by now. In part, I haven't been as diligent over the last three weeks as I was to begin with. Also, I'm beginning to flounder as to how to structure my learning.
I dived into a pro bono redesign with what I thought was an *almost* adequate skillset, only to realize it was more accurately characterized as woefully inadequate. After a few sessions of hours spent in painful css trial and error, I feel like I need to give up the project and go back to the drawing board/study hall. So, I'd really like to do a few more projects with a smaller scope before I take the training wheels off.
To be frank, web design is attractive to me because its elements are interesting (languages both human and computer, visual design, information design), it doesn't require a bachelor's degree to practice professionally, and, in time, it can become a well paid career. Of course, as my savings are dwindling, the paid aspect is coming to the fore. So I'd like to have a portfolio ready to launch by early November.
On top of becoming really proficient in HTML & CSS, I would like get comfortable with Javascript, and learn about utilizing CMSs like Drupal & publishing with Wordpress. I hope by the launch of my portfolio, I'll be able to readily take on a variety of freelance/contract work in order to support myself. I have a few ideas for websites, that would be fulfilling to develop from scratch. I'm hoping that participating in a few peer to peer learning programs will help keep me on track!
Monday, August 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment